Like my title? Ha! And the reason for the title is…well basically it’s the truth. And even though budgeting isn’t any fun, especially when you don’t have enough money to make ends meet, once you sit down and actually figure out a way to make it all work, it feels good. Do I wish we had more money to do more with…of course! It sure would be easier to budget if I didn’t have almost $1000 going out to pay down debt each month!!! But, that’s one of the main reasons I started budgeting in the first place…so we could get out of debt!
Budgeting also requires sacrifice and being super frugal! Some of the things I’m doing include:
- Buying off brand products instead of name brand.
- Really paying attention to impulse buying.
- Using the envelope system for gas, food, entertainment, etc. (this is a HUGE help!)
- And soon, I’m going to start purchasing household cleaners at discount stores like Family Dollar.
- I’m also going to look into making my own laundry soap! (I’ve read this can be one of the best ways to save tons of money).
It just feels good to actually have our spending under control. We know where every penny is going, and while I’m still working out the kinks in the budget and have to sit down every 2 weeks to figure it out, it’s all worth it.
Right now we’re using Dave Ramsey’s online budgeting system. It’s easy to use which makes it…well easy to use. I’m the type of person that if somethings not easy and efficient to use, I will end up not using it at all. How about you? What budgeting program or system do you use? What are the pros and cons of it?