December 3, 1990 looked a lot like today…a fine, light snow falling, gray and Christmas lights beginning to appear on various houses throughout the area. Why do I remember this day so well? Because on this day in 1990 I gave birth to my 3rd child, Kaleb Lionel McNamara….and we have it on video….not the actual birth, but some before and lots after. We actually have a shot out the window before we left for the hospital.
Kaleb was always a late comer…my due date for him was actually November 19. He didn’t arrive for a full two weeks later, and we had to persuade him to come out…I was induced. So, at 6 or so in the morning, we left for the hospital. My doctor tried to get things going by trying to pop my water, but with no luck. She said the lining or whatever was thick and tough and wouldn’t break. Sounds alot like Kaleb! If I recall correctly, I don’t think they gave me the induction drug until 1:00 in the afternoon or so. I think they were just trying to get me to go into labor naturally, but it just wasn’t going to happen for whatever reason. I think the contractions started pretty quickly after the Pitocyn (sp?) got in my system. At one point the nurse came in and checked my cervix and said I was dilated to 6 and if I felt the urge to push to call the nurse, but it should be for a while yet, since I was only dilated to 6. Well, of course, literally 5 minutes after she left, I got the urge to push. I thought it was weird, but went a head and called the nurse. She came in an checked, and sure enough I was dilated to 10. I went from 6 to 10 in 5 minutes! She got the doctor and he was born at 5:52pm. Purple as could be, which they said was due to my cervix opening so fast. He was my largest baby, weighing in at 8 lbs. 2 oz. All of my other kids were 7 lbs. 3 oz to 7 lbs. 10 oz.
Kaleb has the greatest personality you can imagine. He is funny, as in comedic, yet he also tells it like it is. If he doesn’t like something, oh you’ll hear about it, no holding back, no beating around the bush.
Some of my favorite memories of Kaleb are:
- His birth…he was the shortest labor of all my kids…thanks Kaleb 🙂
- He learned how to ski at like 2 and has been fantastic at it ever since. He was the captain of the ski team at school his senior year. They took 3rd at the State finals that year.
- Kaleb learned to ride a bike at 2 years old, with training wheels, but by 3, they were off.
- He learned to play drums in 5th grade and has been playing ever since.
- Kaleb has great taste in music. He always makes me listen to bands with weird names like Incubus and Umphrey’s McGee…and I always end up liking it….not necessarily the lyrics, but their sound.
- Kaleb struggled in school due to ADHD, but he loves college. Interesting.
- He’s a cutie for sure…here are some photos for you to admire. But, sorry girls, he has a girlfriend!